University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health) is a major academic medical center and member of the prestigious Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world. UTMB Health has four campuses – Galveston, League City, Angleton Danbury and Clear Lake with a total of 6 hospitals and 90 clinics in 50 locations throughout the region. UTMB has a long and remarkable history of advancing health sciences education, research, and patient care. For 130 years, the university has maintained a forward-thinking spirit that has enabled it to serve its students, its patients, and the people of Texas and beyond, in innovative ways. For more information, visit www.utmb.edu.
The Mission of the Biosafety Program is to provide a comprehensive approach to health and safety for UTMB. The staff provides direction, consultation, and training for the safe use, handling and storage of biological agents in the research, academic and healthcare arenas. The Biosafety Program supports the research, healthcare and academic arenas to ensure regulatory compliance in biosafety.
Biosafety Director - Plans, directs, and manages the bio safety programs of the Institution under the direction of senior management and works with various departments and committees to ensure compliance with regulations. They will also serve as a partner and point of contact with regulatory agencies and must be able to work in an academic and deadline driven environment.
Education and Experience:
• Master's Degree in microbiology, or related field, plus 5 years related experience Including 3 years' experience in management.
• Experience working in a biocontainment facility (BSL3 or higher); and must be familiar with applicable guidelines for all laboratory and animal containment levels (A/BSL1-A/BSL4).
• Experience specifically Implementing select agent regulations.
• Experience specifically implementing NIH Guidelines for research involving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules.
• Doctorate degree in microbiology, virology, molecular biology, or related field, plus 7 years related experience including 5 years' experience in management.
• Should be registered with the American Biological Safety Association as a Registered Biological Safety Professional or a Certified Biological Safety Professional.
• 40-hour HAZWOPER certification; Incident Command certification; Department of Justice (DOJ) SRA approval, and DOT/IATA certification for shipping hazardous materials.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, educational background. In addition, UTMB offers a superior benefits package, an excellent retirement program, a relocation allowance as well as other potential incentives.
Living in South Houston and Galveston, Texas:
UTMB’s main campus is located on Galveston Island along the Texas Gulf Coast. Enjoy the island life with moderate temperatures and year-round outdoor activities located only 45 minutes from all the amenities that Houston has to offer! You will enjoy our family culture and collaborative environment while at work or play. Go to http://www.utmb.edu/utmbliving/ find out more about Galveston and the surrounding communities.
For more information, please submit an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) using the Apply Now link on this posting.
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.