We are recruiting for a Plant Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Specialist. If you are a go-getter that's energetic, engaged, and hungry for success then we want to hear from you! The Plant EHS Specialist will focus on plant EHS initiatives, rollout safety policies, and think outside the box to help take the EHS program to the next level. If you are someone who enjoys working independently as well as in a team environment, this is the position for you.
The Plant EHS Specialist will work with the plant operations team and corporate Safety team to embrace our goal of a 'zero harm workplace'. If you enjoy rolling out programs, multi-tasking, being creative, influencing decisions and helping drive our EHS goals to the next level, we want to hear from you. This position reports to the Plant Manager but will also work closely with the Regional Safety Manager and Regional Environmental Manager for direction and guidance.
Your Day to Day:
- Supports and promotes safe practices in alignment with company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements.
- Acts as an OSHA and EPA regulatory compliance resource.
- Leads or participates in incident investigations (injury, property damage, near-hit, environmental deviations, etc.) and root cause analysis, and works with the plant operations team to determine appropriate corrective/preventative action.
- Perform risk and hazard assessments/inspections to determine employee risk/exposure and suggest/drive actions to mitigate/reduce them.
- Establish and drive continuous improvement in the facility's safety monitoring and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance with all JM policies and federal regulatory requirements.
- Assist the plant operations team and JM Corporate Safety to evaluate and determine appropriate proactive safety strategies for projects that may have an impact on the facility or employees.
- Develop action plans for safety activities, coordinate the plant Safety Committee team, perform follow-up on these activities, and report status to the Plant Manager.
- Facilitate safety, health, and environmental training for all plant personnel.
- Compile and track all documentation for compliance with all safety and environmental policies and required activities (Work Notifications, Inspection Records, OSHA 300, etc.).
- Work within EHS department on plant initiatives towards Lean, Kaizen, Cost Reduction, 5S and other facility improvements.
- Assist in driving continuous improvement in the facilities environmental monitoring and recordkeeping data management systems to ensure compliance with all JM policies and federal, state, and local regulatory requirements
- Ensure that all industrial process wastewaters are properly managed and discharged from the plant in a manner that protects ground waters and surface tributaries from contamination and is following the plants operating discharge permit
- Ensure the proper onsite management and offsite disposal of solid, universal, and hazardous wastes and lead a plant-wide effort to eliminate these by correcting the eliminating the root causes and/or reducing wastes, reusing, and recycling various materials
- Assist JM Corporate Environmental to evaluate and determine appropriate permitting and abatement strategies for projects that may have an impact on existing air quality permits.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and environmental policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensure all safety, health and environmental metrics and reports are completed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Help regarding workers compensation cases.
- Serve as training coordinator for all EHS-related trainings through Safety Skills and other computer-based training (CBT).
What you Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor's degree required, Safety & Health and/or Environmental or equivalent degree preferred.
- 4 or more years of experience in a EHS role in an industrial setting. Comfortable working in a plant environment.
- Working knowledge of federal safety and environmental laws.
- Ability to work with respective outside agencies and contracted employees.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to use a variety of software applications to analyze, monitor data, create reports, and presentations.
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders, extensive walking, confined spaces, wear a respirator and handle exposures to hot/cold environments.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to be on call, as needed 24/7.
- Ability to travel up to 5%
- Prior Safety Specific Training (i.e. OSHA 30 Hour, Occupational Safety Mgmt., etc.) or ability to complete within first 6 months of position.
- Experience with OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Experience with Risk Management Planning
- Passionate about working safely.
- Public speaking or training experience.
- Excellent communication, training, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated Root-Cause analysis skills (RCCA, 5-Whys).
- Leadership skills to direct personnel, implement initiatives, supervising teams, and performing follow-up activities.
- Analytical ability to assess complex situations and apply problem solving strategies.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts, health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Why Johns Manville
Johns Manville is a proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, serving customers in more than 80 countries, supplying innovative products to the construction, aerospace, automotive, filtration and energy industries. With a more than 160-year legacy, we understand that our story continues to grow only with the right people saying, thinking, and doing the right things. Make your story our story.
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing, and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company, and our communities.