NORD Gear Corporation is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of drive technology for mechanical and electrical solutions. With our continued growth and expansion, we are currently recruiting for an Environemntal Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist to join our team!
Position: Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist
Location: Waunakee, WI
Hours: 1st Shift
Lead the development and implementation of company-wide environmental, health, and safety (EHS) programs, periodically assist other sites with their EHS projects. Implement proactive programs designed to reduce workers’ compensation costs, injuries and illnesses. Develop and provide environmental safety and health training programs to ensure employee knowledge and understanding of safety and environmental regulations and requirements. Develop and maintain a recordkeeping system ensuring verifiable compliance with all applicable regulations. Submit all required reports to the regulatory agencies on a timely basis. Facilitate the preparation and submission of permit applications.
- Work with manufacturing leaders, facilitate the maintenance of safe, healthy and environmentally friendly working conditions through training & educating employees in proper safety procedures, such as PPE, ergonomics and/or environmental concerns such as waste, hazards, and hazardous materials handling.
- Monitor and support accident and incident reporting processes for timely reporting.
- Prepare safety meeting materials, facilitating safety committee meetings, conducting site assessments for adherence to company policies and programs and compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations.
- Develop and maintain the company wide EHS programs. Identify training needs and ensure the training is completed.
- Develop and maintain safety “Toolbox Topics” for the shop floor.
- Recommend measures to reduce or eliminate industrial incidents and health hazards in compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations, assist management in conducting accident investigations.
- Develop and maintain KPI’s related to H&S for the company.
- Conduct activities to ensure compliance with environmental terms and conditions, such as environmental permits, permit fees & recordkeeping.
- Obtain all required permits for the processes, equipment, or discharges generated at the facility.
- Promptly address enforcement issues, accidents, and control device malfunctions with the assistance of the parent company, HR, management, and legal.
- Provide technical expertise to manufacturing, engineering, and facilities/maintenance personnel in evaluating the environmental, safety and health aspects of manufacturing processes, chemical use, equipment repair, and building design.
- Assist other sites with their EHS projects.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Health and Safety or other related field preferred, with 3-5 years of relevant work experience in a manufacturing type setting or the demonstrated ability to meet the job requirements through a comparable number of years of applicable work experience.
- Experience: 3-5 years of relevant experience working in a manufacturing environment with strong knowledge of Continuous Improvement approaches (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, etc.) preferred. Internship, and/or co-op experience required for new graduates.
- Skills and Key Attributes:
- Ability to recognize anomalies and critical situations, responding appropriately
- Ability to translate OSHA or EPA regulations into end user requirements required
- Ability to effectively communicate & interact with a variety of internal/external customers/coworkers
- Ability to think creatively and proactively propose solutions with an attention to detail
- Ability to build effective working relationships throughout the organization.
- Ability to facilitate meetings with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to operate independently within a tight deadline environment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10%.
- Ability to work under minimal daily supervision, receiving guidance from manager/supervisor about the work that needs to be completed.
- Ability to exercise high level of discretion in completing tasks
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and stand for up to 10 hours per day. Must wear proper personal protection equipment when required.
- Health, dental, and vision Insurance
- Company paid short- and long-term disability.
- Company paid Life Insurance.
- Flex spending and health savings accounts.
- Paid vacation and holidays
- 401k match
- Tuition reimbursement
We're seeking individuals who bring energy, innovation, and dedication to achieving our common goals. In return, we provide our employees with competitive wages and benefits, as well as employee-focused programs and events to enrich their lives.
NORD is committed to providing a safe, drug-free environment that our employees can thrive in. We strictly follow workplace safety regulations and provide on-site safety training for new and existing employees. These efforts have resulted in consistently low incident rates.