Neenah Inc. brings possibilities to life and we're committed to creating growth opportunities for our customers, end-users, shareholders and most importantly - our employees. Join our global team and begin creating value through innovative, performance-driving solutions.
Product Stewardship and Sustainability Specialist
Neenah Inc. has an exciting opportunity for an experienced technical professional to help our team in the pursuit of greener chemistry, sustainable product solutions, and ensured market access through product compliance. This is a corporate role reporting to the Sr. Director, Environmental, Health & Safety and tasked with providing prompt and effective support to our key stakeholders in product compliance, safety, stewardship, and sustainability. This role also provides functional support to Neenah’s Technical Products and Industrial Solutions team.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in product regulatory compliance, testing, analysis, and product life-cycle management systems. The preferred work location is Munising MI, co-located with Industrial Solutions R&D team. Other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates who are willing to travel and/or relocate.
Provides expert technical advice and support to internal and external stakeholders in product stewardship, registration, regulatory compliance, testing & analysis, life-cycle assessments, and other technical considerations to ensure Neenah products continue to seamlessly access global markets.
- As part of the Corporate EHS team, contribute to and continuously improve strategy in product safety, regulatory and product stewardship within Neenah consumer, outsourcing and commercialization processes to meet legal, marketplace and customer requirements for product-specific use. Product stewardship responsibilities include individual raw material, manufacturing process and finished product master design parameters.
- Develop and manage product regulatory due diligence information database to allow for rapid retrieval of information, and where applicable, provide the information as appropriate to internal and external customers.
- Administer the “Gate Review” or “Product Review” process for new products and changes, providing training to the other business functions (e.g., sales, marketing, manufacturing, customer service, etc.) on its importance and use.
- Manage and facilitate the use of third-party evaluations and certifications, interpret results, and identify areas of potential concern. Upon consultation with business leaders, support and carry out tactical risk mitigation plan.
- Developing processes, management systems and metrics to enable corporate sustainability reporting in material health, Design for the Environment (DfE) and greener chemistry in accordance with GRI protocols.
- Manage the internal SDS generation and revision process for Neenah finished and in-process products.
- Maintain organized hard and soft copy files using online platform to allow of rapid retrieval of documents by internal customers, when appropriate.
- Serve as a product stewardship & sustainability athlete to transform potential risks into an opportunity to create competitive advantage.
- Bring your ideas to life in sustainable materials sourcing, recycling, and circular material business models by engaging with key stakeholders and partners, enabling the team’s product innovation strategies and delivering on well-designed projects & processes that support sustainable innovation.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Chemistry, Paper Science, Polymer Science, Biology or other natural sciences is considered a minimum requirement. Other technical degrees may be considered with sufficiently robust experience in the product stewardship field. Education and experience in Industrial Hygiene, specifically as it relates to chemical and occupational exposures, is a plus.
- 5+ years’ experience directly managing product regulatory and stewardship issues in the industrial manufacturing sector and 2+ years managing in ESG / Sustainability product disclosure processes
- Must be highly effective at promptly and accurately assessing customer requests on product safety and responding effectively to product compliance / suitability information against hard deadlines
- Must have a foundational understanding and working knowledge of global product regulatory requirements (e.g., TSCA, Prop 65, GHS, FTC, REACH, RoHS, CLP, FTC, CPSC, FDA, TPCH, etc.)
- Experience with material hazard & risk assessments, and green chemistry, DfE, and product circularity principles preferred (e.g., C2C®, ISO standards, Responsible Care®, etc.)
- Must have experience in data collection and management for effective response to product stewardship inquiries from internal and external customers, using appropriate digital platforms
- Experience managing and responding to Restricted Substance Standards (RSSs) and Restricted Substance Lists (RSLs) preferred
- Demonstrable experience ensuring compliance with eco-labeling requirements and self-declared environmental claims (e.g., USDA Biobased, Oeko-Tex® for textiles, Greenguard® for building materials, biodegradable, compostable, recyclable, recycled content, etc.) and ability to substantiate and verify through third-party testing / evaluation
- Strong knowledge of chemicals and the related hazards and ability to evaluate toxicology and potential hazards of chemicals proposed for use
- Ability to build and organize chemical safety and regulatory data, audit and approve new product design submissions for regulatory and safety compliance, maintain appropriate product safety data base
- Coordinate safety data sheets (SDS) development on product and formulations for R&D and Customer requests
- Experience leading product life-cycle analyses (LCA) conformant with ISO 14040 preferred
- Effective communication, strong interpersonal skills and technical writing skills along with the proven ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams and effectively with internal customers (R&D, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Legal, IT) and external customers (Neenah customers, vendors and consultants)
- Ability to identify problems, recommend solutions and perform timely decisions
- Demonstrated attention to detail, self-starter and ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast pace business environment
- CPPS certification a plus
Neenah is committed to manufacturing growth for its customers, end-users, shareholders, and employees. With manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe, and the United Kingdom, we are a leading global manufacturer of specialty materials serving customers across six continents, with headquarters in Alpharetta, GA.
We are focused on growing in filtration media, specialty coatings, engineered materials, and premium packaging. Our materials are found in a variety of products used every day, such as transportation and water filters, premium packaging of spirits, technology and beauty products, industrial labels, tapes and abrasives, and digital printing for high-end apparel. To learn more, please visit www.neenah.com.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
To apply please use the Apply Now link on this posting.