Are you looking for a home for the best years of your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry recognized professionals? If you want the opportunity to work on challenging and rewarding projects at a firm widely recognized for work/life balance, technical expertise, and business success - then Geosyntec may be for you.
We are seeking an exceptional Health and Safety Manager - West Region to help grow our Health and Safety Department in support of our engineering design, environmental consulting, and construction management services across the U.S. West region.
Our client base includes a diverse mix of industrial, institutional and governmental clients, who ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In collaboration with the Senior Health and Safety (H&S) Manager, you will provide H&S and environmental compliance support for projects and other operational activities; act as a subject matter expert on H&S / environmental-related technical and compliance matters; directly interface with project managers staff to plan and execute project safety plans and processes; meet client / regulatory and other external stakeholder requirements and expectations; and support Geosyntec offices in fulfilling H&S/environmental needs.
Some of the core responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support regional implementation of the Geosyntec H&S and Environmental management systems.
- Assist in the implementation, measurement, and evaluation of the firm's H&S and environmental compliance performance and management systems.
- Implement and deliver written program components, procedures, policies, and plans at regional Geosyntec and US subsidiary facilities and site offices.
- Assist in the review, development, and deployment of project-specific H&S plans and other documentation.
- Review, understand and communicate contract specifications and technical safety language for use by subcontractors at projects where Geosyntec and/or its subsidiaries serve in a construction management at risk (CMAR) role and work to ensure compliance with provisions.
- Support offices in identifying and mitigating office-specific H&S hazards and issues related to in-office activities and conditions, as well as conforming to applicable state/provincial/local H&S/environmental requirements and industry best practices.
- Perform on-site technical support activities of project operations, including performance of site visits and audits and providing technical subject matter expertise as needed in the areas of H&S and environmental compliance.
- Develop and participate in training and communication initiatives to meet various company, national & local, and external stakeholder requirements, and raise awareness of and competency in Geosyntec H&S initiatives, performance, and issues.
- Support the investigation of incidents/injuries in both project and office environments, help identify incident root causes and be involved in addressing mitigation actions that may be discovered.
- Comply with the company's policies and procedures, including Human Resource and Risk Management policies.
- Perform and support ergonomic risk assessment as requested; provide recommendations for corrective action to eliminate or reduce risk.
- Promote the company's medical surveillance and online training programs.
- Actively participate in professional societies, conferences and meetings to further continue professional development and increase the visibility of the firm to potential clients and recruits.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will help integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture as you advance to this next stage of your career.
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a scientific, engineering, or similar technical field, and at least seven (7) years of progressive experience as a full-time H&S professional; or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the responsibilities of the position. (required)
- At least one of the following professional certifications (or accepted non-U.S. equivalent), or the ability to obtain one within one year of employment (required):
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) accreditation; or
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) accreditation
- Demonstrated progressive experience identifying hazards, interpreting and enforcing laws and regulations, interpreting health and safety data, evaluating causes for unsafe work practices, conducting interviews of employees about H&S matters, writing reports and technical materials. (required)
- Two or more years of experience supporting H&S in construction and/or environmental consulting services activities. (preferred)
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to act with tact, discretion and maintain confidentiality as appropriate. (required)
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced consulting environment, handling multiple project assignments, meet strict deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills for the ability interact with all levels of employees, managers and contractors. (required)
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents. (required)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365-Word, Excel, Outlook. (required)
- Ability to work in variety of indoor, outdoor and seasonal conditions including cold, heat, and precipitation and loud noises. (required)
- Ability to regularly travel to client facilities and project sites including HAZWOPER sites and either possess or obtain the qualifications specified per under U.S. 29 CFR 1910.120 (e) and (f). (required)
- Ability to travel to locations away from home involving multiple overnight stays, as much as 25% to 50% of the time, occasionally extended stays of a week or longer. (required)
- Ability to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and/or move 30 to 49 pounds unaided and 50 to 100 pounds with assistance. (required)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for frequent business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/.
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package.