Herc Rentals Inc. is a premier, full-service equipment rental firm ― providing our customers the equipment, services and solutions they need to achieve optimal performance safely, efficiently and effectively.
With more than 50 years of equipment rental expertise, approximately 5,600 employees and 312 company-operated locations primarily in the United States and Canada, Herc Rentals serves a broad range of customer markets, including large and small companies in construction; industrial customers such as large industrial manufacturing plants, refineries and petrochemical operations; and other customers such as governmental entities and government contractors, disaster recovery and remediation firms, infrastructure, railroads , utility operators, individual homeowners, entertainment production companies, agricultural producers, special event management and facility management firms.
Safety Manager Level IV
Primarily responsible for providing effective safety management services for all Region and Field employees by utilizing professional workplace safety problem solving and relationship skills. Proactively applies knowledge of safety regulations/standards as well as policies and procedures, and knowledge of company products and services.
· Assists the region at all levels with preparation and delivery of formal and informal safety training to Herc Rentals employees and customers at customer locations as needed.
· Demonstrate sound, effective leadership for all safety team members in geography and demonstrate effective influential leadership to all region personnel primarily related to safety related topics.
· Develop capabilities in team to enhance knowledge, skill and abilities
· Identifies and/ or creates and communicates Safety Alerts, Bulletins, and/or Advisories for implementation across company.
· Creates and presents safety related information to customers to enhance relationships.
· May oversee other Safety Managers
· Conducts/Coordinates Location Annual Safety Audits, prepares detailed reports, assists location management with corrective action plan development and conducts follow-up actions until complete.
· Evaluates and conducts incident investigations, and corrective actions.
· Liaison as necessary with other internal departments or external organizations/relevant authorities, and assistance and cooperation concerning audits and remedial actions.
· Assists in the safety requirements at location startups.
· Develops personal and professional skills and capability through on-going training, as provided by the company or elsewhere such as meetings, conferences, seminars as determined by the Safety Department.
· Manage the health and safety regulatory programs in assigned geography to include; compliance counseling; local level strategy development; participation in the assessment of site health & safety management, compliance and injury reduction programs; and best practice sharing.
· Track, report, benchmark and trend safety data; conduct root cause and other analysis to reduce incidents; establish metrics and report results to management monthly and provide appropriate feedback and results to senior management.
· Analyze similarities, differences, trends, culture, and business drivers in the assigned platform in order to identify and eliminate or control factors that negatively influence safety.
· Advise and support region leadership regarding effective implementation and application of Herc Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) and regulatory compliance.
· Promote safety and health policies and best practices to reduce losses and liabilities.
· Motivate, develop, direct daily activity, advise, and support safety personnel.
· Coordinate outside specialty services (e.g. Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Medicine) as needed
· Conduct regular field and region assessments, management training, and audits.
· Recommend process improvements to programs and processes
· Lead special projects to improve overall safety and health programs
· Bachelor’s degree in Safety or a related field required
· Formal Root Cause Analysis training required
· Professional level credential required from a recognized certifying agency (BCSP, IHMM, ABIH, etc. or equivalent)
· Extensive knowledge of safety, environmental and transportation laws and regulations, and procedures
· Process Improvement methodologies training and application (Kaizen, Lean, Six Sigma) required
· Business acumen- understanding of financial terms, logistics management, etc.
· Project Management- ability to leading and formal project methods and concepts training
· 15 years’ experience in a Safety role (primary); 5 years’ experience will be at a management level
· Ability to travel.
· A strong team player, experience with high performance teams
· Commitment to company values
· Computer competence- MS Office products, Safety Management systems, etc.
· Demonstrated problem solving and negotiation skills
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Training and development of assigned personnel including goal creation, monitoring and coaching
· Strong Customer Orientation