Warfel Construction Company is currently looking for an experienced Safety Engineer to join our innovative, safety-focused team. This position will support construction projects near the Winchester, VA office.
Safety is our top priority. We are committed to ensuring that all employees on our jobsites leave work each day in the same condition in which they arrived. The Safety Engineer is expected to exhibit appropriate safety knowledge, and be able to apply the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of their environmental, health, and safety training.
At Warfel, we consistently go above and beyond OSHA requirements by focusing on prevention techniques, increased training and awareness, and ensuring each employee feels empowered to address safety proactively. A candidate who shares these values, is passionate about safety, and has a desire to work in a positive, team-oriented environment will thrive in this position.
Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work directly with field supervisors, project management team members, operations department and safety department to promote personal ownership of safety, share successes, and identify areas of opportunity
- Proactively seek and work to resolve potential safety issues relating to employees, subcontractors, clients, and projects.
- Conduct inspections following Warfel’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and protocols
- Stay current with industry safety standards; communicate accordingly throughout the organization
- Distribute and communicate inspection reports internally and to associated trade contractors, ensuring proper corrective actions are applied
- Develop and implement a system to encourage safe work practices
- Coordinate and/or conduct safety training for Warfel employees
- Document, lead (as necessary) and participate in accident investigations; perform root cause analysis, and recommend preventive actions
- Assist and advise project teams to ensure subcontractors adhere to safety plans.
- Participate in Safety Committee meetings with Warfel employees
- Participate in pre-installation and regular subcontractor coordination meetings
- Prepare for, respond accordingly, and follow-up as required to all OSHA inspections
- Collect and analyze leading and lagging indicators to determine trends and implement best practices.
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health, Safety Science, Engineering, or a related field; equivalent experience may also apply
- Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) or equivalent professional certification preferred
- Three (3) or more years of EHS experience, preferably in a construction environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills critical to success
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential and sensitive information
- Innovative and technologically inclined with computers, tablets, mobile phones, and other construction-specific software / tools
- Proven ability to work well under stress, with little direction, and in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Flexibility to work longer days and on weekends, as workload may require
Competitive pay and benefits offered. At Warfel, we realize that one of the ways to best serve our clients is to keep our employees engaged. You’ll be immersed in a culture of learning on-the-job, day in and day out. You’ll be surrounded by co-workers who believe teamwork is one of the best measures of success.
Warfel Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer.