At WestRock, we're proud of the millions of packages, boxes, and paperboard sheets we make every year. But we are even more proud of what each of these boxes represent: connections. WestRock creates winning solutions for our customers that connect people to products.
Become part of the connectionSafety Manager, Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
Employing talented people is key to WestRock’s global success. We partner closely with our customers to develop innovative ways of promoting, displaying and protecting their products to build long-lasting connections with consumers. Our focus on long-lasting relationships and a relentless consumer-centric approach encourages creative thinking and new solutions for every industry. Focusing on our customers’ success gives us plenty of opportunities to develop our own careers along the way. Let's connect!
The Safety Manager is responsible for the leadership and technical management of all safety programs at the Roanoke Rapids, NC Mill. The successful candidate will be a key leader in creating a safety focused culture. The position has the responsibility to design, modify, recommend, and implement safety and health programs to assure a safe work environment. Lead compliance with all applicable safety and health regulations, corporate requirements, and audit processes.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Provide leadership in developing measures and practices that prevent accidents and ensure compliance with OSHA and corporate standards.
- Leads culture change towards an injury-free facility through leadership, increased employee engagement, effective training and coaching, on-the floor interactions, and rule compliance.
- Provide effective leadership and guidance in a variety of areas including, but not limited to: machine guarding, lock out systems, forklift training, fire brigade, hot work procedures, contractor training, mill safety communication, Hazcom training, confined space program, process safety management, fall protection, asbestos etc.
- Interfaces with Corporate Safety team and provide necessary reports, audit follow-ups etc.
- Plans and executes industrial hygiene and safety programs including procedure development and employee training.
- Identifies safety needs for the mill; gathers technical data, cost, or other relevant information; makes verbal and written reports/recommendations to senior management.
- Ensures follow-up on all accident or near-miss reports, including recommended remedial action as part of the investigative team.
- Serves as the primary contact for all safety inspections; take charge of inspection activities, makes corporate notifications, and accompanies inspectors/auditors on their tours of the mill.
- Routinely audits the mill for safe working conditions and procedures; initiates corrective action where appropriate.
- Coordinates with HR on workers compensation case management.
What you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or related field is required
- 2+ yrs. experience as a safety professional administering health and safety strategies and programs in a manufacturing operation (process industry experience preferred).
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA regulations.
- A certified or associate safety professional status is desirable (CSP or ASP).
- Strong working knowledge of OSHA regulatory programs is required, and process Safety Management experience is preferred.
- Ability to assign priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment. Must be able to make effective oral presentations to a wide range of audiences ranging from hourly employees to senior corporate executives and government agencies.
- Confident in presenting training on various safety topics.
- Ability to communicate with all employees and effectively lead and direct others.