Minn-Dak Farmers Cooperative (MDFC) is located in Wahpeton, a city in the southeast corner of North Dakota, in the heart of the Red River Valley. MDFC has a 1200 acre footprint in Richland County, North Dakota. The Cooperative is owned by approximately 500 sugarbeet Shareholders/Growers who collectively grow 115,000 acres of sugarbeets and is part of the domestic sweetener industry. MDFC employs about 304 year-round, 147 seasonal and 295 harvest employees MDFC Shareholders produce sugarbeets for processing at the Cooperative’s plant in Wahpeton.
Wahpeton, North Dakota
This position is responsible for the inspection and maintenance of safety related equipment and assists in other safety-related tasks. The Safety Assistant reports to the Safety Manager.
Principal Working Relationships:
Supervisor Campaign: Shift Superintendent
Supervisor Inter-Campaign: Senior Safety Coordinator
Essential Job Duties
· Perform checks on all related fire and safety equipment as required by the regulating establishments.
· Perform inspection, maintenance, and refilling of fire extinguishers, including the transportation of fire extinguishers from the refill station to factory sites.
· Perform inspection and maintenance of self-contained breathing apparatus and backup tanks.
· Perform necessary inspection and maintenance on air monitors as required by supervisor.
· Perform inspection and maintenance of eye wash and shower stations.
· Attend all Safety Committee meetings and assist the Chairperson in the preparation of the meeting agenda.
· Prepare/complete required reports and maintain files of the same as required.
· Recognize safety hazards in the workplace and act to correct hazards that are present.
· Other duties as required by the business.
· Adhere to all company policies and all safety, food safety, feed safety, and sanitation rules and programs
· High school education or equivalent desired
· Must be able to read, write, and understand written and verbal instructions
· Maintain a valid driver’s license
· Organized with excellent time management skills
· Ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels
Competencies and skill set required to do the job well
· Must possess computer skills and be able to use Microsoft WORD, EXCEL, and OUTLOOK.
· Must be able to learn Company’s computer maintenance system.
· Must have, or be able to obtain, the necessary knowledge for compliance with the National Fire Protection Association for portable fire extinguisher maintenance.
· Must be able to reason through problems involving the setup and operation of moderately complex equipment.
· Must possess the judgment and knowledge to select and use the correct materials, tools, and equipment when performing maintenance work.
· Must be able to direct activities of outside contractors, helpers, and other workers as assigned.
· Must be able to reference, read, and understand how to use MSDS information.
Physical Demands and Expectations
· Ability to lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
· Exposure to heat, cold, humid, and wet conditions.
· Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
· Exposed to fumes and airborne particles.
· Noise levels are above 85 db.
· Personal Protective Equipment, including respirators, must be worn when required.
· Must be able to access all levels and areas of the factory to complete required safety inspections and maintenance.