Interested in translating science into innovation? Build your career at Argonne.
At Argonne, we view the world from a different perspective. Our scientists and engineers conduct world-class research in clean energy, the environment, technology, national security and more. We’re finding creative ways to prepare the world for a better future.
Argonne National Laboratory is hiring a Safety Generalist!
In this role you can expect to:
- Function as a member of the Laboratory deployed safety team.
- Act as a two-way conduit of information:
- Communicate Laboratory health, safety and environmental requirements and programs to line management, researchers and workers in the deployed Division
- Communicate ideas for tailored execution of programs and area safety needs.
- Provide support to line management, researchers and workers to providing effective implementation solutions, leading/participating in work planning activities, and serving as a local safety professional resource.
- Provide expertise, support, coordination, and guidance, as needed, to ensure that the deployed Division complies with Argonne environment, safety and health (ESH) policies and initiatives and with DOE orders and OSHA regulations.
- With reach-back to mentor and Laboratory subject matter experts, conducts reviews and provides consultation of experimental plans, operating procedures, and job safety analyses.
- Coordinates and monitors the deployed Division’s industrial, electrical, chemical, laser, and accelerator safety activities.
- Serves as an integral member of the deployed Division’s ESH/QA team and in functional roles as assigned.
- Acts semi-independently, under mentorship by an experienced peer.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge in laboratory, experimental, or industrial facilities safety.
- Willingness to explore alternate methods to reduce risk, with input from specialists and peer mentor.
- Effective verbal communication skills with scientists, support staff, and division management.
- Effective written communications skills.
- Ability to quickly learn safety-related Argonne web applications and well versed in common productivity software.
- Ability to acquire general technical expertise and knowledge about the operational aspects and safety challenges of the research in the deployed division
- Basic knowledge of radiation safety concepts preferred.
- Experience with general safety practice.
- Initiating effort toward certification in ESH career field.
- Ability to recognize work sequences requiring additional specialist knowledge and to involve these specialists to assist as necessary.
- Ability to acquire competencies in OSHA disciplines relevant to the work in the deployed division.
- Ability to provide timely and competent customer service.
- Willingness to interact at the customer work location.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education at a B.S. or B.A. level in a technical field (physical science or engineering, occupational health & safety, or environmental engineering) and 2+ years of professional experience in the ESH arena.