JOB TITLE: Safety Training Officer
AGENCY: City of Oxnard
LOCATION: Oxnard, CA
FILING DEADLINE: April 29, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $65,475.90 – $109,446.90 Annually
The City of Oxnard is seeking a Safety Officer with strong technical and customer service skills to be part of the Human Resources Department’s Risk Management Team. This position will be responsible for providing detailed information on safety methods and techniques. The Safety Office is responsible for providing services to the Public Works Water and Wastewater Divisions in a consulting capacity, but reports to the City’s Risk Management Division in the Human Resources Department.
• Developing and implementing overall work safety program objectives for the Water and Wastewater Divisions.
• Administration of a comprehensive health, safety and training program while ensuring and promoting a safe work environment for employees and customers to comply with federal, state, and local regulations.
• Coordinating with the City of Oxnard Human Resources Department, Risk Management Division’s centralized safety programs.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a “hands-on” professional with the ability to oversee the City’s Water and Wastewater Divisions’ safety programs. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to maintain effective relationships with regulatory agencies, vendors and interdepartmental management and staff are essential. The selected candidate will be team-oriented, approachable, and have solid knowledge of the principles and the practices of methodology, the materials and necessary monitoring equipment used, as well as the rules and regulations pertaining to emergency response. This intelligent and energetic professional will have a desire to work collaboratively with management and staff to ensure City safety practices, policies, and procedures are in compliance with local, state, and federal standards. The ideal candidate will possess working knowledge of water systems, treatment plant operations, and general office activities.
Knowledge and Abilities
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate knowledge of and performance in the following areas:
• Knowledge of principles and practices of OSHA and Cal/OSHA safety, loss prevention, environmental compliance, accident prevention, and Workers Compensation regulations.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of data collection, assessments, inspections, and investigations.
• Principles of administration, organization, and management: personnel policies and procedures.
• The ability to manage multiple projects and adjust to changing priorities.
• A proven history of building and maintaining effective business and working relationships.
• The ability to write clear, concise, and effective training materials, safety procedures and reports.
• Mental alertness - necessary for safety during inspections, driving, emergency response, and multiple activity coordination.
• A command of respectful, patient, and communicative leadership qualities with the ability to inspire and guide change and safe work habits. A ‘listener’.
• Passion for a safe working environment.
• Knowledge of applicable computer systems and standard software applications.
The normal workweek is Monday-Thursday, 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, and alternating Fridays, 8:00 am- 5:00 pm. This position may be required to be available to work additional hours as needed to respond to workload needs.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Rev6-Oxnard-STO.pdf.
To apply use the Apply Now link on this posting. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and five professional references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment). Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
The City of Oxnard is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, medical condition, disability or sexual orientation.